Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:49:54 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Hello

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 23:31:41 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 01:15:16AM +0800, orc wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:19:28 -0400
> > Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> > When building and running X I got only one thing: for 3D, games and
> > so on I need a dedicated machine with videoboard vendor's drivers
> > (no matter opensource it or proprietary). For anything else, I
> > would use vesa.
> Unless reading video memory has gotten substantially faster (i.e. the
> same speed as main memory) I don't think vesa suffices for ANY use.
> The way the X server is written, almost all common operations require
> reading back from video memory if implemented in software. This could
> be avoided by changing the implementation to do everything on a
> mirrored buffer in main memory and only copy the final version to
> video memory, but as far as I know that was never done.
Works/usable on a 2000 Dell Dimension/PIII@...MHz/128 to 256 MB RAM/i810
graphics running NetBSD 5.1.
(with an i810, there are no usable drivers at present...though kdrive
i810 might work if I can dig it up...)

However, I can't compile vesa drivers with musl.
(vesa needs sys/vm86.h to use the BIOS drivers, and sys/io.h for
hardware)
Also, uvesafb (the universal framebuffer driver) may not work with
musl: it relies on a userspace daemon, which uses vm86 or libx86 (which
in turn wants vm86, though it can emulate it...)

Isaac Dunham