Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 17:46:10 +0100
From: Reuben Thomas <rrt@...d.org>
To: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
Subject: Re: printf POSIX compliance

On 8 June 2012 17:46, John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de> wrote:

> this is bogus, according to Rich:
> "all files are closed when a process terminates normally/calls exit.
>  if you want to report write failures, just fflush(stdout) before exit and
> check the return value"

Jim Meyering has an analysis of the problem here:

http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2011/paris/#sec-2-1

> gnulib is simply a huge pile of junk...

Like the stdout problem, it's not that simple! gnulib has many
enthusiastic users, myself included, because it solves many
portability problems and adds much useful functionality. Thanks to
gnulib I was able to remove a total of about 1,000 lines of code from
GNU Zile. I have not heard a single complaint from users, so I guess
no-one tried to build it with musl. However, I have had success
stories from users building on far-out platforms like DOS, and I've
had far fewer bug reports on platforms I don't use since I started
using gnulib.

So, please file bug reports rather than insults! gnulib has receptive
and active maintainers, and we'll all benefit much more from fixed
software than from merely venting frustration.

As regards the particular problem with freadahead, looking at the code
suggests a workaround of -DSLOW_BUT_NO_HACKS to avoid trying to build
the FILE-fiddling code.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org