Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 16:21:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cluts review

Luka,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 02:02:44PM +0200, Luka Mar??eti?? wrote:
> Hmm, hope you won't mind me saying: Diff output for multiple files
> replacing 1-2 non-subsequent lines is not very readable.

I don't mind, but I also don't understand what you're trying to say.

It is a patch that you can directly apply to your code, with patch(1) -
or you can indeed just read it and see what has changed where, then
decide which of the changes to merge or what else to do about them.

What would be more readable than that, yet just as specific?

> Instead of <sys/param.h>
> for PATH_MAX, will limits.h do (that's what i usually include)?

No, it doesn't get PATH_MAX defined for me.

What you could actually want to do is get rid of the dependency on
PATH_MAX and FILENAME_MAX.  The system does not guarantee that actual
pathnames fit in PATH_MAX anyway.  So you may want to replace those
strcat()'s with dynamic memory allocation or add a check for potential
buffer overflow there (then report the error and skip the test).

For dynamic memory allocation, you may use asprintf(3), but it is not
very portable, or you may use my concat() function:

http://openwall.info/wiki/people/solar/software/public-domain-source-code/concat

(put it in a common source file).

> Ok. I only hope it's understood that I've made the tests report failures
> alone. It would serve no purpose to output success messages (eg.
> numeric.c would report a *lot* of things). If that's not what you meant,
> shoot, I'm listening.

I definitely did not intend to complain about the lack of micro-test
success reports.  I do intend to post more stuff.

Thanks,

Alexander