Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:24:22 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New LKRG release planned?

Hi Remi,

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 10:07:53AM +0100, Remi Gacogne wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any plan to release a new version of LKRG?

Yes.  I think we've just eliminated issues blocking a new release, and
should proceed to make the release.

> I have been packaging LKRG in the Arch Linux User Repository [1] for a
> few months now, adding patches on top of 0.8.1 to be able to compile on
> newer kernels, but I can't really keep doing that as newer patches just
> don't apply.
> For now I have moved to a -git package [2] instead, building from the
> latest git revision, but I would really prefer having a new release if
> possible.
>
> Thanks a lot to everyone working on LKRG, it's a great tool!
>
> [1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lkrg-dkms/
> [2]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lkrg-dkms-git/

I think you only need one package of LKRG, and when the latest release
is too old for Arch's use just switch to packaging latest git in there.
Then update it in response to specific issues relevant to Arch.  This is
what e.g. ALT Linux does:

https://packages.altlinux.org/en/sisyphus/srpms/kernel-source-lkrg/changelogs

Alexander