Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 09:15:18 -0700
From: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
To: Oscar Carter <oscar.carter@....com>
Cc: kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Get involved in the KSPP

On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 02:20:08PM +0200, Oscar Carter wrote:
> Hi, my name is Oscar. I would like to get involved in the kernel self protection
> project because I love the software security and I think this is one of the most
> challenging fields.

Hi Oscar! Welcome to the mailing list. :)

> I have experience in microcrontrollers and working with low level software, but
> my experience with the linux kernel development is a few commits in the staging
> area.
>
> For now, and due to my low experience with the linux kernel code and software
> security, I do not care about the area and task to be done. What I pretend is to
> help this great community and improve my knowledge and skills in this
> challenging field.
>
> So, I would like to know if I can be assigned to some task that suits me. I've
> taken a look at https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues but I don't know which task
> to choose and if someone else is working on it.

There's "good first issue" label that might help you choose things:
https://github.com/KSPP/linux/labels/good%20first%20issue

One mostly mechanical bit of work would be this:
https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues/20
There are likely more fixes needed to build the kernel with
-Wcast-function-type (especially on non-x86 kernels). So that would let
you learn about cross-compiling, etc.

Let us know what you think!

Take care,

--