Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:58:56 -0400
From: Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>
To: aconcernedfossdev@...mail.cc, ubuntu-users@...ts.ubuntu.com,
	ubuntu-devel-discuss@...ts.ubuntu.com, kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Why does no one care that Brad Spengler of
 GRSecurity is blatantly violating the intention of the rightsholders to the
 Linux Kernel?

On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 15:34 +0000, aconcernedfossdev@...mail.cc wrote:
> Why does no one care that Brad Spengler of GRSecurity is blatantly
> violating the intention of the rightsholders to the Linux Kernel?
> He is also violating the license grant, Courts would not be fooled
> by his scheme to prevent redistribution.

Right now there are a few million systems that use
grsecurity, and over a billion systems that are not
protected by grsecurity functionality.

Removing grsecurity from the community has been an
impetus to finally get the grsecurity functionality
into the upstream kernel, where it can benefit the
billion systems that do not have it today.

> Why does not one person here care?
> Just want to forget what holds Libre Software together and go the way
> of BSD?

What holds Linux together is community. The license
is one of many aspects to that community, but far
from the only one.

GRSecurity has been outside of the community for years,
and their customer restriction "you can redistribute
this code, but if you do we will on longer provide you
with updates" does not change that.

Having the remaining developers who are interested in
hardening work on getting more functionality upstream,
now that the grsecurity patches are no longer available
to non-customers, is likely a good thing for everybody.

Want to help out?  Join us in ##linux-hardening on
irc.freenode.net.

kind regards,

Rik van Riel
--
All rights reversed
Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (474 bytes)