Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 09:45:33 -0800
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: bcrypt $2y in target list written as $2a in potfile?

For at least hashes for me, bcrypt $2y from a specific target list are
being written as $2a in my john.pot.

I was running an older GitHub jumbo, so I pulled latest jumbo:

John the Ripper 1.9.0-jumbo-1+bleeding-3ba3a5462 2023-04-22 20:33:04 +0200
OMP [linux-gnu 64-bit x86_64 AVX AC]

... and the behavior is the same. What might cause this? I thought the
difference was in the pre-processing of the original plaintext prior to
hashing, with no change in the hash format (other than the $2a type change).

--
Royce