Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 00:43:09 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: recovering online account passwords

Hi Tobeywan Jones,

What you're trying to do - restore access to your online accounts - is,
as you have correctly figured out, not the purpose of John the Ripper,
and you generally cannot do it by using John the Ripper.

This leaves me wondering how you managed to get it to run for a while at
all - what kind of input file(s) did you run it on?

It is similarly unclear what you're still asking for advice on when you
write "how to use the software and to get online and give it all the
correct info and let it run."

Do you have some other use case in mind here?  If so, what is it?

If not - that is if it's still this same task of recovering access to
your online accounts - then unfortunately my advice is for you to give
up trying to misuse John the Ripper for that.  This is unless you have
your passwords stored in some kind of encrypted file that you have.

I'm sorry this isn't more helpful.

Alexander

P.S. You initially sent the message below to an unrelated thread.  As a
moderator of this list, I detached the message from the wrong thread
prior to approving it.  I also changed the stale message Subject to my
best guess of what would fit the intended topic of your message.