Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 01:10:23 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper in the cloud update 2023/02

Hi Rodrigo,

On Mon, Mar 06, 2023 at 06:43:10PM -0300, Rodrigo s wrote:
> hi. I am really a noob in aws. I loved this idea and try to run it.
>
> I configure it with the default configuration and when I will run, I get
> this error:
>
> You have requested more vCPU capacity than your current vCPU limit of 0
> allows for the instance bucket that the specified instance type belongs to.
> Please visit http://aws.amazon.com/contact-us/ec2-request to request an
> adjustment to this limit.
>
> So... What do I do with this? I read this link
> <https://towardsthecloud.com/amazon-ec2-requested-more-vcpu-capacity> but I
> have no idea if it will work or not. Is it just me or everyone is having
> this problem?

Thank you for reporting this.

I was hoping that new AWS accounts could run our default GPU instance
type at least as on-demand now, but apparently that's not the case.

On John the Ripper in the cloud homepage, we currently link to:

https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/ec2-instance-limit/

and from there you can use the link for "AWS Service Quotas dashboard"
followed by "Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)".

Having just followed these links for a region where I did not increase
quotas yet, I see that only "All Standard (A, C, D, H, I, M, R, T, Z)
Spot Instance Requests" and "Running On-Demand Standard (A, C, D, H, I,
M, R, T, Z) instances" have non-zero values (for vCPU counts).  Our
default instance type was a GPU instance, and they're in the P and G
categories, for which the defaults are zero.

I've just updated the homepage to use this wording:

"If you're new to AWS, you'll likely find that you need to request a
service quota increase before you're able to launch the large instances
that we recommend, and separately to launch them as spot instances."

I'll also consider changing the default instance type for this product,
perhaps to c6i.large, which should barely fit the defaults as far as I
can see.  I'd appreciate it if you test and confirm or disprove that.

Thanks,

Alexander