Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 12:45:35 +0200
From: magnum <magnumripper@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Should I see special characters in status updates?

On 2022-10-05 07:32, Ashildan V wrote:
> I tried the commands you shared, but none of them worked.
>
> When I tried (exactly as I've typed it below):

> I got the responses:
>
> *'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file*
> *'head' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file*

> I'm running John on a Windows machine. Could that be the problem?

Yes. You should probably run them under a Cygwin shell and not a
Windows' command window. Or learn Windows commands such as (IIRC)
"findstr" that could be used in place of "grep".

However, you don't need to run those example at all - simply trust us
that uppercase (and specials) *will* be used, just not very early in the
process.

magnum