Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 11:58:03 +0200
From: magnum <magnumripper@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR Rules Questions

On 2022-08-24 22:50, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 09:51:47PM +0300, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
>> Also 3 full ascii ranges is a bit too much for preprocessor (it starts
>> very slowly), so to append them, I append 2 ranges through --rules=
>> and 1 range through --rules-stack= .
>
> We expand and verify all normal rules at startup, which for so many
> expanded rules takes time... but perhaps we don't do that for stacked
> rules, an omission?  The intent was to have any rule syntax errors
> reported at startup rather than later in the run.

Oh I'm pretty sure we do - the speedup comes from different processing.
Using $[0-9][0-9] you'll get 100 rules from the preprocessor. When
instead using $[0-9] and then again $[0-9] with stacked rules, you only
get 20 rules (10 + 10) from the pp but they execute as 100 (10 * 10) so
leading to the same result. With more and larger ranges, the difference
can be huge.

magnum