Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 20:13:33 +0000
From: Foamy Mai Tai <foamymaitai@...me>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: More CPU cores vs faster base frequency

Hello all,

I am trying to help a friend re-gain access to his ethereum wallet (slow scrypt hash, n=262144).

I'm using it as a semi-valid excuse to do a custom build.

My question: in choosing a CPU, should I seek more total cores or faster base frequency?

Faced with a multitude of options, I've narrowed down to a couple of CPU possibilities (for lack of a better idea):

Intel Xeon Gold 6148 has 20 cores at 2.4 GHz base freq.
Intel Xeon Gold 5122 has 4 cores at 3.6 GHz base freq.

Both offer AVX-512 and both actually have the same max turbo freq of 3.7 GHz. Both same refurbished price point.

I tried to do my own homework, but I figured I'd reach out for help. I am extremely grateful for any advice or better CPU suggestions.

Many, many thanks.