Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 15:38:53 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Zip2john empty output

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 12:06:15PM +0200, Giuseppe Mazzara wrote:
> I'm trying to extract the hash from a password protected zip file.
>
> The problem is that the result is always an empty text file.
>
> I have tried with other types of zip files and I am able to extract
> the hash without problems.
>
> Why can't I have the hash?

This would have been impossible to know reliably from just the
information Giuseppe posted, but he's also opened a GitHub issue with
more information, and it's already been resolved by using our latest
code from GitHub:

https://github.com/openwall/john/issues/4768

In general, when something doesn't work the first thing to do is to try
with our latest code from the GitHub repository.  There have been
significant changes to zip2john and to our ZIP file "hash" support in
JtR since the 1.9.0-jumbo-1 release.

> Are there other solutions without using hashes?

Not with JtR.  The way JtR supports ZIP files is through having them
converted to those "hashes" first.

Alexander