Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 16:24:17 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cygwin Compiling Error on Windows 10

Hi,

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 12:36:48PM -0600, Hustle Sec wrote:
> When attempting to run ./configure on /john/src in Cygwin on Windows 10 I
> get the following error:
>
> $ ./configure
> ./configure: line 16: $'\r': command not found
> ./configure: line 31: syntax error near unexpected token newline'
> '/configure: line 31: ;;
>
> Then the process quits. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Others have already provided some replies, but FWIW searching for
mentions of related problems seen by other projects finds e.g.:

https://github.com/reconquest/import.bash/issues/2
https://community.perforce.com/s/article/2973

Reading and summarizing these and the like, it appears that:

Git on Windows defaults to using CRLF for text files ("On windows
systems core.autocrlf is normally set to "true" globally.")

To avoid the problem, one can "do a "git -c core.autocrlf=input clone
..." and finally set core.autocrlf=input locally".

As a workaround, it can be possible to "make use of "set -o igncr"
(warning: cygwin bash only!)".  It may also be required to "export
SHELLOPTS" for this to work.

As another workaround, the project could "add .gitattributes file [...]
and force git to handle shell scripts eol=lf".  Maybe we should?

Alexander