Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 17:30:13 +0800
From: Ian B <Ian.Blakeley@...lhouse-communications.co.uk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Extracting the hash from MS word

On 01/05/2021 08:38 Ian B penned these words:
> On 29/04/2021 16:48 Ian B penned these words:
>> On 28/04/2021 20:39 magnum penned these words:
>>
>>> This is now https://github.com/openwall/john/issues/4705 on GitHub.
>>>
>>> Ian, best would be if you could apply the patch I posted and re-build,
>>> then possibly crack at least one of your documents using whatever
>>> knowledge you might have about possible passwords. If we just get a
>>> notice you succeed with that, we can commit some permanent code for this.
>>>
>>> Failing that, we'd probably need to install some old Windows and old
>>> (pre 2003) Word (or Office) in a virtual machine, fiddle with the
>>> registry to disable 40-bit RC4 and/or enable 56-bit and try to create a
>>> sample document with a known password.
>>

>> Thanks. I've got your patched version, extracted the hash and I am starting to
>> see if I can crack anything it may take a while. I'll update later
>>

> No luck so far, still working on it. Tried various lists with rules, telephone
> numbers etc. I obviously must have 1) switched away from known passwords or
> simple words 2) switched versions since the encryption is different. Had a
> thought yesterday that it may have been my daughters work left on my PC so
> have contacted and sent the file to her too. She's on a short break home next
> week if she has any luck I'll know then. In the meantime I'll crack on.

Sorry I got nowhere with this. My daughter is back from holiday, she's checked
says not any of her passwords that she recalls from then. I've tried various
lists, added all the passwords I can think and variations of and utilised
rules but no joy sorry.

Almost certainly this was saved with a version of office I had via my then
employer. We had a deal for a nominal sum $25 springs to mind we could install
on our own machines the same suite the business used. Not sure if that helps
in anyway.

--
Ian