Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 08:38:35 +0800
From: Ian B <Ian.Blakeley@...lhouse-communications.co.uk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Extracting the hash from MS word

On 29/04/2021 16:48 Ian B penned these words:
> On 28/04/2021 20:39 magnum penned these words:
>
>> This is now https://github.com/openwall/john/issues/4705 on GitHub.
>>
>> Ian, best would be if you could apply the patch I posted and re-build,
>> then possibly crack at least one of your documents using whatever
>> knowledge you might have about possible passwords. If we just get a
>> notice you succeed with that, we can commit some permanent code for this.
>>
>> Failing that, we'd probably need to install some old Windows and old
>> (pre 2003) Word (or Office) in a virtual machine, fiddle with the
>> registry to disable 40-bit RC4 and/or enable 56-bit and try to create a
>> sample document with a known password.
>

> Thanks. I've got your patched version, extracted the hash and I am starting to
> see if I can crack anything it may take a while. I'll update later

No luck so far, still working on it. Tried various lists with rules, telephone
numbers etc. I obviously must have 1) switched away from known passwords or
simple words 2) switched versions since the encryption is different. Had a
thought yesterday that it may have been my daughters work left on my PC so
have contacted and sent the file to her too. She's on a short break home next
week if she has any luck I'll know then. In the meantime I'll crack on.

--
Ian