Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 18:17:53 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dmg-opencl low performance/ low gpu utilisation

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 05:09:30PM +0100, r.wiesbach@....de wrote:
> >Given these, I recommend that you specify explicit "-lws 64 -gws 73728"
> >on the command-line.
> Just for other readers: the = is missing there

Oh, indeed, should be "-lws=64 -gws=73728".  Sorry.

And, also for other readers, indeed optimal numbers will most likely be
different for other GPUs and other formats.  We generally don't
recommend specifying these at all, but sometimes it helps to obtain the
numbers from auto-tuning and then just use them explicitly.

> it seems that I can also use the fixed parameters together with --restore,
> which is very nice. (At least john does not complain about option clash)

I had actually tried this before sending my previous message, and found
that it works in 1.9.0-jumbo-1, but that we broke it very recently.  We
now have a GitHub issue to make it work again:

https://github.com/openwall/john/issues/4502

Alexander