Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 22:01:38 +0900
From: SQP Admin <admin@...lus.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Session management on AMI - Interrupting and resuming

Hi,

We are currently running an Openwall Amazon AMI, running an incremental
session on a ZIP archive. We have chosen to go with a c5.24xlarge
infrastructure and using multiple CPU threads like so:

john —session=XX —incremental=Alnum —fork=96 xxxx.hash

We are in a situation where we expect getting a correct guess will take
some time and also have budget restrictions. We understand sessions can
be interrupted and resumed using the —restore=[sessionname] option. Here
are my questions:

1. Is the approach we’ve taken to take advantage of the 96 CPUs correct?
(—fork=96) - or is there a better way of leveraging that instance
performance?

2. We had to logout from our ssh session a couple of times and don’t
know how to reconnect to our John session. We understand using
—status=[sessionname] prints a status of the relevant session, however
is there a way to reconnect to the session as when it was launched the
first time and when pressing any key would display the status?

3. As we are not connected to the John session anymore, we are unable to
figure out how to interrupt it gracefully, as we would usually do using
“q” when connected to a live session. Could you please advise on how to
interrupt sessions after reconnecting to the instance’s ssh?

4. We are on monthly budget and are looking into the possibility of
running our crack like so:
- when budget is reached, interrupt the session, save .rec files locally
and terminate the instance.
- when a new budget is approved, launch a new similar instance, move
back the .rec files to that instance and use the —restore command to
resume it.

Is this approach correct? If this works, we would need to understand how
to interrupt a background session, as described in 3. Could you please
advise?

Thank you very much for your time and support.

- Mike