Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 10:08:34 +0100
From: Antonio Rossi <amcrossi@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: electrum2john.py does not work with ledger or trezor encrypted wallet files?

I'm testing the script 'electrum2john.py' with wallet files created in
Electrum and passphrase encrypted either with a Ledger or a Trezor
hardware wallet but I get this kind or errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./extract-electrum-halfseed.py", line 42, in <module>
    wallet = ast.literal_eval(open(wallet_filename).read(64 * 2**20))
# up to 64M, typical size is a few k
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/ast.py", line 48, in literal_eval
    node_or_string = parse(node_or_string, mode='eval')
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/ast.py", line 35, in parse
    return compile(source, filename, mode, PyCF_ONLY_AST)
  File "<unknown>", line 1
(content of the original wallet file follows and it is omitted)

I tested the same script with other wallet files created without any
hardware wallet and it works perfectly however.

So the question is, does 'electrum2john.py' work only with wallet
files created in electrum without involving hardware like a trezor or
ledger?

Antonio Rossi
Telegram: @antoniorossi