Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:48:57 +0100
From: François <francois.pesce@...il.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Rules characters unicode support.

Hi,

I'm currently working on a tool that generates possible -single mode rules
out of a cracked result.
While running my tool on a very large (and old) leak, I realized that some
character substitutions from ASCII to Unicode were hitting some results (a
few hits on a large leak) for example:
seé
suü
scç
soö
saã
soø
snñ
saå

They're making sense, because some old RFC or specs prevent non ASCII
characters to be used in email address or login information but passwords
fields actually take them now. For example, we could imagine that a
password associated to my email address francois.pesce@...il.com could be
close to the way my French first name is actually written, thus "françois"
(possibly generated by a single rule substituting c to ç such as:  scç ).

However, it seems that currently, john(-jumbo) does not support Unicode
characters for all rules commands (except for the content of command A"..."
). Is anyone working on supporting that use case, should I just try to use
the A"..." command for my niche finding ? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Francois Pesce