Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 17:32:00 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: John not detecting AMD OpenCL devices on Ubuntu 20

Hi James,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 03:23:11PM +0100, James Haigh wrote:
> Hoping someone might be able to help with this. Bit of a Linux amateur here
> but I've set myself up a new Ubuntu install and want to get John working on
> it with my AMD CPU (Ryzen 5) and GPU (RX570). Both devices support OpenCL
> and after a lot of hassle I got them both installed within the default
> directory at */opt/* (pastebin <https://pastebin.com/WzdAy2b8>).
>
> When I run the *./configure* script in John's */src/* folder, it runs
> through all the checks and outputs the list of optional features in which
> OpenCL is not enabled (pastebin <https://pastebin.com/APJUsvtP>). Both
> *Hashcat* and *clinfo* detect both of the devices (pastebin
> <https://pastebin.com/U158kBTr>), but John simply will not.

It looks like you need this:

sudo apt-get -y install opencl-headers

hashcat bundles OpenCL headers with itself, whereas John currently
expects them from the system.

Does this help?

> I've tried setting the 'ATISTREAMSDKROOT' environment variable, providing
> LD & CFLAGS to the configure script, reinstallation of my openCL packages
> (plus several hours of Googling/hoping SUDO might fix things) but nothing
> has worked as of yet.

Please don't override CFLAGS.  When you do, you most likely end up
dropping our optimization flags, resulting in inefficient CPU usage.
Please use CPPFLAGS instead.

Alexander