Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 22:21:51 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Performance John in the cloud

Hello Powen,

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 11:07:53AM -0400, Powen Cheng wrote:
> I would like to know what is the estimated performance of John in the cloud
> with form=etherum-opencl with p3.2xlarge

On NVIDIA Tesla V100 in p3.2xlarge:

Benchmarking: ethereum-opencl, Ethereum Wallet [PBKDF2-SHA256 Keccak OpenCL]... DONE
Speed for cost 1 (iteration count) of 262144 and 1024
Raw:    22260 c/s real, 22140 c/s virtual

However, please note that this benchmark is for a mix of two different
iteration counts.  Your actual Ethereum wallet would have just one, if
you need to recover password to just one wallet at a time.  If you only
need to attack a wallet with 262144 iterations, the expected speed is
about twice lower than the above (so 11k+).  If you only need to attack
a wallet with 1024 iterations, the expected speed is about 2.8M c/s.

> or the instances with more GPUs or CPUs?

Since this format is well supported on GPUs, to improve the speed
further you'd use an instance with even more of those GPUs.  The largest
such instance is p3.16xlarge with 8 GPUs, for 8x higher speed.

> And what would be the price of this instance for one day for GPU or CPU
> instances?

For p3.2xlarge, it's the same I already provided an answer for in:

https://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2020/08/12/5

"At the current spot price in the US, it's 0.918*24 = ~$22 for a day.
If you also pay for our Bundle (beyond the 5-day free trial, which
starts the moment you subscribe to it), it's (0.918+0.64)*24 = ~$37.

When you use spot pricing, your instance might be stopped any time if
the demand increases.  To guarantee this won't happen, you'd use
on-demand pricing, resulting in ~$73 or ~$89 total for a day, without
and with payment for our Bundle, respectively."

p3.16xlarge is currently priced at exactly 8 times higher, 7.344*24 =
~$176/day spot pricing for one instance within our 5-day free trial.
Our Bundle after the free trial or if you launch more than one instance
is priced at $5.99/hour for running on an instance this large,
increasing the daily total to ~$320.

On-demand price for this instance is currently $24.48/hour without
software, or $30.47/hour including the $5.99/hour charge for our Bundle.
That's ~$588/day or ~$731/day, respectively.

Not cheap, indeed, but it's the fastest.

Alexander