Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:41:12 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Performance of 5 days demo of the cloud which was mentioned in the message with subject John in the cloud

Hi Johny,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 06:54:55AM +0200, Johny Krekan wrote:
> You mentione the speed s in c/s . C/s means password/sec?

c/s historically means crypts per second, from back when John could only
crack Unix crypt(3) hashes.  Now it means hash or cipher computations
per second.  You can think of "c" as standing for "computations".  The
"--test" benchmarks only report c/s.  The status line while cracking
includes four metrics: g/s for successful guesses per second, p/s for
candidate passwords tested per second, c/s for hashes computed per
second, and C/s for combinations of {candidate password, target hash}
tested per second.  When cracking just one hash, p/s, c/s, and C/s will
stay the same.  In other cases, they might differ depending on the
(changing) number of yet uncracked hashes and different salts.

> What do you think could be speed of one p3.2xlarge instance? (wpa
> password /sec)

For WPA PSK on p3.2xlarge's V100, I am getting 818k c/s.  The 8 vCPUs
also available there provide 10k c/s.  When using the GPU and 7 vCPUs
concurrently, it's 818k + 8.6k.  At just 1% extra, you might as well not
bother with the CPUs and ideally use them for something else (bcrypt?)

On even larger AWS instances (such as with 8 of those GPUs), the vCPUs
would also be more numerous and their performance would be more
significant in absolute terms, so perhaps you'd put them to use too.

$ john -test -form=wpapsk-opencl
Device 1: Tesla V100-SXM2-16GB
Benchmarking: wpapsk-opencl, WPA/WPA2/PMF/PMKID PSK [PBKDF2-SHA1 OpenCL]... LWS=32 GWS=5242880 (163840 blocks) DONE
Raw:    818560 c/s real, 818560 c/s virtual

$ john -test -form=wpapsk
Will run 8 OpenMP threads
Benchmarking: wpapsk, WPA/WPA2/PMF/PMKID PSK [PBKDF2-SHA1 256/256 AVX2 8x]... (8xOMP) DONE
Raw:    10138 c/s real, 1270 c/s virtual

$ OMP_NUM_THREADS=7 john -test -form=wpapsk
Will run 7 OpenMP threads
Benchmarking: wpapsk, WPA/WPA2/PMF/PMKID PSK [PBKDF2-SHA1 256/256 AVX2 8x]... (7xOMP) DONE
Raw:    8624 c/s real, 1230 c/s virtual

> What would be a price of one such instance for example for one day?

At the current spot price in the US, it's 0.918*24 = ~$22 for a day.
If you also pay for our Bundle (beyond the 5-day free trial, which
starts the moment you subscribe to it), it's (0.918+0.64)*24 = ~$37.

When you use spot pricing, your instance might be stopped any time if
the demand increases.  To guarantee this won't happen, you'd use
on-demand pricing, resulting in ~$73 or ~$89 total for a day, without
and with payment for our Bundle, respectively.

You'd also pay for storage, but those costs are generally tiny (could be
a few cents per day until you delete the volume).

Alexander