Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 13:42:09 +0200
From: Michele <micheluzzo@...entati.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Testing john

Hi,

On 01/04/20 00:41, Claudio André wrote:
>> The three methods work for me too, though --prince took an oddly longer
> time (0:00:03:13 vs 0:00:00:05 for --rules=all and 0:00:00:00 for --mask).
> Why is that so different from your results too? (John the Ripper
> 1.9.0-jumbo-1 here, if it helps)
>
> Are you using the same wordlist I used when I was testing? Or you are using
> yours, much bigger, wordlist/dictionary? That said, we should also consider
> your hardware, memory, etc.

I used the very same dictionary - it was for testing!
The hardware might not be that relevant, I believe, as the other methods
took times comparable to yours, while --prince was evidently much slower.
Anyway, I'm on a 4th generation i7 (Haswell) quadcore @ 1.8GHz with 8 GB
ram. In prince mode, jtr tried 31317C/s. I was just surprised it took so
much longer than in your case, having 2305 C/s. Maybe adding 1234 to
your list (though it was there already) resulted in a sooner guess.

>> I notice that none of the three options are anywhere in the offical doc.
> John the Ripper software needs people from community who would like to
> volunteer to improve docs. Besides that, you have Jumbo docs inside
> `/snap/john-the-ripper/current/doc/`. In these docs you can find notes
> about --mask, --prince and --rules.
I could imagine that. I'll go through the installed docs. It's a bit
early for me to write docs, but I'd be glad to help.

>> As for the suggestion of Lorenzo, "zip-opencl" is not among the formats
> or subformats I can select, so jtr produces an error. Might be in the
> bleeding-jumbo just announced?
>
> No, you are running a CPU only JtR binary. Well, I don't know if you have
> proper OpenCL hardware nor if you installed all necessary drivers and
> runtime.
>
> Anyway, to run the OpenCL enabled binary inside the snap package, please
> read:
> -
> https://github.com/claudioandre-br/packages/tree/master/john-the-ripper#acessing-opencl
Alright, that explains it. I was just enabling OpenCL when I wrote, will
give a try to the OpenCL-binary as well.

Thanks again!
Michele