Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 19:41:52 -0300
From: Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com, Michele <micheluzzo@...entati.org>
Subject: Re: Testing john

> The three methods work for me too, though --prince took an oddly longer
time (0:00:03:13 vs 0:00:00:05 for --rules=all and 0:00:00:00 for --mask).
Why is that so different from your results too? (John the Ripper
1.9.0-jumbo-1 here, if it helps)

Are you using the same wordlist I used when I was testing? Or you are using
yours, much bigger, wordlist/dictionary? That said, we should also consider
your hardware, memory, etc.

> I notice that none of the three options are anywhere in the offical doc.

John the Ripper software needs people from community who would like to
volunteer to improve docs. Besides that, you have Jumbo docs inside
`/snap/john-the-ripper/current/doc/`. In these docs you can find notes
about --mask, --prince and --rules.

> As for the suggestion of Lorenzo, "zip-opencl" is not among the formats
or subformats I can select, so jtr produces an error. Might be in the
bleeding-jumbo just announced?

No, you are running a CPU only JtR binary. Well, I don't know if you have
proper OpenCL hardware nor if you installed all necessary drivers and
runtime.

Anyway, to run the OpenCL enabled binary inside the snap package, please
read:
-
https://github.com/claudioandre-br/packages/tree/master/john-the-ripper#acessing-opencl

Claudio