Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 16:28:38 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to use "telegram2john.py" on Linux?

Hi Jason,

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 07:40:26AM +0000, Jason Long wrote:
> C:\> python telegram2john.py "C:\Telegram Desktop" > telegram.txt
> C:\>john telegram.txt --show
> 0 password hashes cracked, 0 left
> C:\>john telegram.txt --show --format=telegram0 password hashes cracked, 0 left
>
> Why it can't show the password?

You shouldn't use the "--show" option when the password is not yet
cracked.  In fact, initially you shouldn't use any options at all.  You
should do simply:

python telegram2john.py "C:\Telegram Desktop" > telegram.txt
john telegram.txt

However, that is probably not your only problem, because if it were then
you'd see "0 password hashes cracked, 1 left" (not "0 left") when you
tried to use "--show".  Claudio provided a response on this here:

https://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2020/01/07/6

Basically, to troubleshoot this for you we need to know (at least
roughly) what's in "C:\Telegram Desktop" and/or in telegram.txt.  Can
you show us the filenames and file sizes under "C:\Telegram Desktop" and
the file size of telegram.txt?

Alexander