Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 10:28:07 -0300
From: Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: AMD and MacOS OpenCL issues

Hi

We can easily find errors in the Apple OpenCL runtime and in AMD drivers.
If you intend to actually crack using any of these, make sure that all
target formats are NOT problematic on these "platforms".

Driver errors are difficult to troubleshoot. And we need volunteers working
on it. We are aware of several bugs.

Besides, OpenCL and CPU formats are TWO DIFFERENT formats:
- the implementation details and limits are NOT the same.
  - the maximum length, the supported algorithms, and so on, differ.

Something that is crackable using a CPU format may be not crackable using
the OpenCL format.

And, please:
- provide (in private) the problematic file. The hash created by a *2john
tool, at least.

BTW: and that's my opinion, we desperately need hardware to test JtR. I
recently discovered that it may be more complicated to use AMD hardware
nowadays (https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/4188).
Devs need help.

Claudio