Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 18:39:12 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: No password hashes loaded

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 05:11:58PM +0000, David Taylor wrote:
> > The argon2id flavor is not currently supported in JtR jumbo.  We need to fix this issue for that:
>
> I see, I was led to believe it was supported based on the information here
> https://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2016/01/03/1
>
> How was this possible if it is not supported in john?

What you see there are comparisons of Agnieszka's OpenCL implementations
(her Google Summer of Code project with us) with CPU implementations,
for which she must have updated those in her fork of jumbo.  She also
authored the original two Argon2 formats that actually went into jumbo,
and were then merged into one format, but we never updated that to
include the 2id flavor.

BTW, those speeds of Argon2 on GPU are not the best possible, and
shouldn't currently be used to estimate security that Argon2 provides.
Better speeds have since been achieved with this implementation:

https://gitlab.com/omos/argon2-gpu/

and even then its README is out of date (actual speeds are higher).

> Confidentiality Statement
> This email is intended solely for the use of the individual

Ouch.

Alexander