Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 22:52:58 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Guide: Installing John the Ripper on Windows 10

Hi all,
    I recently installed John the Ripper (Bleeding-Jumbo), on a Windows 10
laptop using the new Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSLv1) feature. It seems
to work great and was a lot easier than previous methods I've tried so I
ended up putting together a guide on what I did to help other people who
may be interested. You can view it here:

https://reusablesec.blogspot.com/2019/08/installing-john-ripper-on-microsofts.html

Note: This was done with Windows 10 Pro, build 1809.

I've been told that the preview version of WSLv2 provides faster
performance for applications, but installing WSLv2 requires significantly
more effort so I don't know if I'll get around to trying that out. If
anyone else has success with getting WSLv2 to run I'd be interested in
hearing about it.

Cheers,
Matt