Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 21:09:03 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: zip2john fails to hash my zip file

On 2019-05-20 17:58, Dudy Dudy wrote:
> I created a password protected zip file some time ago and I forgot the password (classical...). I am quite sure that at the time, I created it with the 7z program (a zip file, not a 7z file).
> (...)
>
> "ver 81.9 Arch.zip/20140531.txt is not encrypted, or stored with non-handled compression type"
>
> I just created a similar archive using this command:
>
> "7za a -tzip -pSeCreT secure.zip secretFile.txt"
>
> and ran zip2john on it, which was successful with this output:
>
> "ver 78.8 secure.zip/secretFile.txt PKZIP Encr: cmplen=7741, decmplen=32801, crc=97E07BAB"

We have a version difference here that may or may not be significant for
the issue.

> Finally, I ran zipinfo on my original archive and got this:
> (...)
>    compression method:                             unknown (99)
>    file security status:                           encrypted

...and this is interesting. Even zipinfo doesn't understand the method?

> My ultimate goal to is be able to recover the password of the archive.
> What steps shall I take next?

Not sure. Perhaps you produced a zip file with some 7z-specific
property/properties. I can't really help you a lot but the first thing I
would do is try to find a newer version of 7za (or some other options to
it) that produces the same version number "ver 81.9". Then if you can
reproduce the problem with a sample zip file, we can look into it.

Good luck!
magnum