Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 23:28:47 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Alternative FPGA?

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 03:46:24PM -0500, David Sutherland wrote:
> Will the existing ZTEX 1.15y FPGA code work with any of the newer ZTEX
> boards automatically?

No.

> Apingis, are you interested in trying a newer FPGA?

Since we discussed this privately, I can answer this on behalf of our
team: yes, we're interested, but this is a lot of effort.  Funding of
such efforts at a commercial level would help.  As volunteers and using
our own funds, we might proceed to target newer hardware only if it
seems very lucrative in some way(s) to do so - such as results way
better than what we already have - and even then it's difficult.  Just
to support more boards, no.

If your company or you personally, if you got rich on Bitcoin or such,
are in a position to fund a project to support VCU1525/BCU1525 boards
and Amazon AWS F1 instances, let us know.  This idea has been on hold
for a long while now.

> Is anyone else experimenting with other FPGAs?

I assume you mean for password cracking.  I am not aware of other
current efforts.  (There have been some past efforts.)

> The ZTEX 1.15y sounded really interesting but it does seem very difficult
> to find nowadays.

That's true, although I'm puzzled as to where all those boards went.
Maybe some can still be obtained by asking in the right places.

Alexander