Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 16:59:57 +0000
From: kc atgb <kisscoolandthegangbang@...mail.fr>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: gnome keyring password length limit

Le , magnum a écrit :
> On 2019-01-18 17:13, kc atgb wrote:
>> Le , magnum a écrit :
>>> Try to explain the encoding problem and I'll try to guide you through
>>> it!
>>
>> With the release I used initially, I had a lot of trouble to make john
>> generate the password with the correct encoding, and then display them
>> correctly, and to give the password file correctly encoded to john
>> even
>> with forcing things in john.conf.
>>
>> I succeeded after I converted john.conf from utf8 to iso8859 format.
>>
>> With the current files from git, I have the same troubles and
>> converting
>> from utf8 to iso8859 is not working because of a special char in
>> subsets
>> section for number 3.
>
> Are you actually on some ancient machine not supporting UTF-8? If not,
> I think you might have derailed here. With a terminal correctly set to
> UTF-8, the Jumbo defaults should work for most situations. Going
> backwards in time will only make things worse.

I know I'm not fully up to date but I can't call debian 8.7 an ancient
machine ^^
I running lxde as DE and lxterminal as my terminal. I don't remember
having
any problem with encoding before. I can for example, open vim, write
some text
with special chars and display them without problem.

$ vim tmp/aze
$ file tmp/aze
tmp/aze: UTF-8 Unicode text
$ cat tmp/aze
âä

My locale is set en_US.UTF-8
$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

> If you are indeed on a machine not supporting UTF-8, just change a few
> of the config defaults (I can work out which if you give me some time)
> and you should be set.

I tried to apply the same changes, related to encoding, I applied to
release
john to git john without any result.

I will try to test again later. I have left the keychain recovery for
the
moment.

> magnum

Thanks,