Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 22:45:37 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gnome keyring password length limit

Hello K. C.,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 05:50:21PM +0000, kc atgb wrote:
> I'm not sure to be on the right place. Please let me know if it is not
> the case. I'm am using john 1.8.0-jumbo-1 on debian 8.7.
>
> I'm trying to recover the passphrase for one of my gnome keyrings
> without success. It is a long passphrase and I remember it a 95%. I have
> done some rules to generate the passwords to my needing.
>
> In my tests, I discovered that john won't get my password if this
> password is longer than 15 caracters and that explain that I can't
> recover mine for sure.

> Is there any way to bypass this limit ? Any option ? Another method ?

Please upgrade to the current bleeding-jumbo off GitHub.  I've just
checked that there was indeed a limit of 15 for this format in
1.8.0-jumbo-1 (which is now 4 years old), and it's increased to 125 in
the current code.  Additionally, even in 1.8.0-jumbo-1 there was a
higher limit in the OpenCL version of this format, so you could also use
that (ideally on a GPU) - but even then upgrading to the current code is
highly preferable.

I hope this helps.

Alexander