Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 22:36:02 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: DMG file password cracking

Hi Morgan,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 03:20:57PM -0600, Morgan Woodward wrote:
> I've put myself in quite the predicament. I have locked myself out of a
> password protected .dmg file that contains months of research I worked on
> over the summer. I let it sit too long and now I can't remember exactly
> what the password is. I know generally what it should be, but I can't get
> it after trying about 100 different passwords. I am looking to download a
> program that can help me brute force crack it. Which do you recommend? I
> have very basic computer knowledge, but can learn pretty easily. I have a
> macbook air running OS High Sierra 10.13.6

You can try one of the community-contributed builds of JtR for macOS:

https://download.openwall.net/pub/projects/john/contrib/macosx/

On newer hardware, use the "avx2" version.  If it tells you "Sorry, AVX2
is required for this build", then use the "sse4" version found nearby.

You'll need to first use the dmg2john program on your .dmg file,
redirecting this program's output to a text file, like this in a
Terminal after cd'ing to the "run" directory:

./dmg2john /path/to/file.dmg > file.txt

Then use JtR itself on the resulting file, like this:

./john file.txt

Once you confirm you got this working, the community in here will help
you focus the attack based on whatever you recall about the password.

Alexander