Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 22:36:08 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Break a virtual drive

On 2018-12-27 18:56, Solar Designer wrote:
> While I'm happy that Dhiru's work might help Alexandre gain access to
> this locked drive, this has nothing to do with JtR since there's no
> password cracking involved - rather, there's a tool by Dhiru to reset
> the password.  Thus, I think we should in fact end this thread here.
> Dhiru, I expect you will reply to Alexandre off-list.

Agreed, although I didn't think of that, yet.

> A general question we may discuss is whether we should possibly bundle
> password reset tools and such along wth JtR (and then their discussion
> would become on-topic here), or keep JtR as a password cracker only.

That is an interesting question: We have things like cisco2john.pl that
tries to de-obfuscate obfuscated passwords for cracking actual hashes.
That's a grey zone. Personally I'd be fine with including scripts (in
Jumbo) to de-obfuscate anything. I agree it's off-scope but it's also a
password seed issue, and as such it's totally viable.

magnum