Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 19:39:51 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john --make-charset=custom.chr: Can't get the hang of using it. :-(

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 11:46:02AM +0100, Eric Watson wrote:
> But first to mention that one of the links supplied by "rich" does not work.
>
>  https://xinn.org/blog/JtR-AD-Password-Auditing.html

Works for me.  I think this is Rich's own website.  For him to be able
to correct whatever problem there might be, you'd need to explain how
exactly this link "does not work" for you and maybe in what web browser.

> Alexander, you mention, "training" incremental method. Can you explain
> "training" please?

As doc/MODES says, incremental "mode deals with trigraph frequencies,
separately for each character position and for each password length,
to crack as many passwords as possible within a limited time."  It
obtains those frequencies when you "train" it on previously-cracked
passwords, using the "--make-charset" option.

> I find it confusing until it is pointed out that "wordlist" and "passwd"
> are not in fact words but instead are hashes. I must remember that
> everything revolves around hashes.

I don't know what mention of "wordlist" you refer to.  I think there's
no such confusion about "wordlist".  When we say "wordlist", we mean a
list of words or other strings to base candidate passwords on.  We do
not mean hashes.

Yes, "passwd" traditionally refers to a file with hashes - that's due to
Unix having password hashes in a file called /etc/passwd.

Alexander