Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 15:48:05 +0100
From: Piotr Dobrogost <2018@...obrogost.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Does Johnny support gpg symmetrically encrypted files?

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> gpg2john doesn't accept nor need the "--format" option.  If you're using
> a recent enough version of gpg2john, then it should print a warning that
> it can't read the file named "--format=gpg" (or whatever you specify,
> which it will think is a filename), but yes it'll work fine for the
> other/real file regardless.

True.

> I don't know, and I've never used Johnny except for testing (maybe
> someone who actually uses Johnny will reply), but my guess right now is
> that maybe gpg2john somehow returns a non-zero exit code in your case,
> which you simply don't notice when you run it from the command line.  Or
> maybe Johnny is configured to use a different version of JtR tree you
> have on your system than the one you run the gpg2john command from.

The reason was that I had a symlink to john binary in ~/.local/bin and I
configured
Johnny with this symlink instead the real thing… As a result $JOHN was set
to the
directory of symlink instead of directory with binary and john.conf file
couldn't be opened.

I think JtR should follow symlinks when finding out directory to put in
$JOHN.

Regards,
Piotr