Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 13:30:40 -0700
From: B B <dustythepath@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: How to stop consideration of repeated characters

Hello,

I am new to JtR and am trying to recover a lost password for which I have both a probable beginning and end. I also have a limited character set for the middle of the password.

I have been using Crunch to generate word lists but these lists have repeated characters such as [known}aaab[known]. I know for a fact there are NO repeated characters in my lost password but can not find any mention of a rule? to reject them.

Another question, to get around the use of Crunch, is can I quote a fixed/known character string at the beginning and the end in a rule?

Such as “pass”A-z”word”?

Thanks
Bill