Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 13:47:08 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: neural networks

I've gone through the paper a couple of times. Haven't looked through the
code though. They way they use John the Ripper is in wordlist mode. They
use the SpiderLabs rules-set for the mangling rules. For the wordlist,
(directly from the paper):

"We explore two different sets of training data. We term the first set the
Password Guessability Service (PGS) training set, used by prior work [89].
It contains the Rockyou [90] and Yahoo! [43] leaked password sets. For
guessing methods that use natural language, it also includes the web2 list
[11], Google web corpus [47], and an inflection dictionary [78]. This set
totals 33 million passwords and 5.9 million natural-language words"

Their Markov modes are using their own tools, not JtR.

The advantage of using a neural network is the small size of the program to
assign a probability to user's passwords. You don't have to include the
full input dictionary, (for example if you were using a reverse-mangling
approach), or a full grammar if you were using a PCFG. Even a full Markov
character set would be much larger if you are training 5 or 6-gram Markov
models. I'd argue that John's incremental training sets are smaller though.

As to the ability to incorporate it in to other password cracking tools or
using it as a stand-alone guess generator, or for the matter how it
performs compared to incremental mode, I'd like to look at the code first
before I start speculating on that ;p

Matt