Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 19:30:24 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: neural networks

Hi,

This is not an end-user topic yet, because there's no end-user usable
code yet, and there might not ever be.  But I felt this is of interest
to the JtR user community anyway, and as we do not dive into source code
details yet it is not a topic for john-dev yet.

There's interesting new work here:

"Code for cracking passwords with neural networks"
https://github.com/cupslab/neural_network_cracking

Paper/slides:

https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity16/technical-sessions/presentation/melicher

The authors include a comparison against JtR and hashcat, but without
detail on which versions and modes were used.  (I am guessing JtR's
Markov mode was, but incremental mode was not.  That's unfortunate.)

I only skimmed the paper so far.  In one place, it mentions needing 16
days to generate 10^10 candidate passwords on a GPU.  This would make
the approach usable for attacking (semi-)slow hashes, but not fast ones.

I am not convinced there's an improvement over Markov and incremental
modes here - need independent testing for that - but maybe this is a
mode that would be reasonable to have alongside other modes we have.

Alexander