Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 09:11:24 +0200
From: Albert Veli <albert.veli@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Loading a large password hash file

For the record, on my computer it's faster to split the hashfile and loop
than waiting for the whole file to load. About 10 million lines per
hashfile seems to be a good value for my computer:

split -l 10000000 huge_hashlist.txt

that creates split files with filenames xaa, xab etc. Then loop:

for hl in x*; do ./john --fork=4 --format=Raw-SHA1 <more arguments> $hl;
done