Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 16:38:46 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Loading a large password hash file

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 12:51:41AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 12:46:14AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> > perl -e 'use Digest::SHA1 qw(sha1_hex); for ($i = 0; $i < 200000000; $i++) { print sha1_hex($i), "\n"; }'
> >
> > which is 8200000000 bytes.  On a machine with enough RAM, JtR loaded it
> > in 6 minutes, and the running "john" process uses 13 GB.
> [...]
> > There's also the --save-memory option, which may actually speed things
> > up when you don't have enough RAM.  But that's sub-optimal, and high
> > memory saving levels may hurt cracking speed a lot.  They also hurt
> > without memory saving.  I've just tried --save-memory=2 on the 200M
> > SHA-1's file, and it looks like it'll load in about 1 hour (instead of
> > 6 minutes), consuming something like 11 GB.  So probably not worth it in
> > this case.
>
> My --save-memory=2 test completed loading in about 40 minutes, and the
> "john" process uses a little over 9 GB.  So in this case it's a 7x
> increase in loading time to save 30% of memory.  Cracking is about 5x
> slower.  Usually not worth it, but if you had 12 GB RAM and didn't want
> to split the input file in two, it could help.

Setting "NoLoaderDupeCheck = Y" in john.conf reduced the loading times
to 3 minutes, with or without --save-memory=2.  Memory usage stayed the
same (13 GB or 9 GB, depending on --save-memory).

All of this is on E5-2670 v1, using only one core during the loading, so
at 3.3 GHz.  A modern desktop CPU will work a bit faster.

Commenting out "#define REVERSE_STEPS" in rawSHA1_fmt_plug.c made almost
no difference for loading time, at least with "NoLoaderDupeCheck = Y".

Alexander