Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 18:40:09 +0200
From: Patrick Proniewski <patpro@...pro.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mailman admin password

On 06 juil. 2016, at 17:23, magnum wrote:

> On 2016-07-05 20:47, Patrick Proniewski wrote:
>> Is it possible to crack the hash of list admin in Mailman?
>> Any known format to use?
>
> Does it looks like the one on https://wiki.list.org/DEV/Passwords%20done%20right ?

Unfortunately no. This wiki post is about getting rid of clear text passwords for users, but Mailman 2.1 still uses them. The only hashed/crypted password is currently the admin password, and it does not look like a known hash to me (and john fails to recognize it).

It's a 40 chars string made of [a-f0-9]