Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 02:41:56 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Rules 'C' command, wtf???

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 06:28:49PM -0500, jfoug wrote:
> I will make the change to 'C' and 'c' handling in jumbo.  It took me for
> a loop, since I had rules that 'should' have been identical all of a
> sudden find 'differing' outputs.  The same rules were very trivial.  The
> rule  u and CT0 should have been identical.  But all of a sudden, I had
> a run with some random data input where they were not??  Ended up being
> a line starting with mCr It took me for a loop that the u was MCR but
> for some reason, the CT0 ended up with MCr

Yeah.  Actually, I am surprised you didn't find this much sooner, given
how much you have been playing with JtR rules already (even adding new
rule commands).  But this isn't an excuse for the undocumented behavior.

Since I was aware of the actual behavior, I think the default "single
crack" mode rules (at least those, and possibly also the wordlist rules)
take this into account (such as to produce both kinds of capitalization
across the ruleset, yet avoid dupes).  So there might be things to
change in there now that we're removing this behavior.

> Was this something that Cracker Jack did ?

Cracker Jack didn't have this kind of rule command language at all.

Crack did have these commands, but without this special case.

> Or was this just a 'wow neat idea' you had early on (which btw,
> 'is' a neat idea and probably does help crack names, but seems ugly for
> default behavior).

Yes.  In 1996 or so.  IIRC, I first implemented this for 'c' and there
wasn't a 'C'.  Then Crack 5 added 'C', and I had to make it consistent
with my 'c'.  In hindsight, this was also a good time for me to
reconsider how I had defined 'c', but unfortunately I did not reconsider.

Alexander