Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 07:58:01 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: jtr compilation and running issues

On 2016-03-18 00:32, eidolon@...w.ca wrote:
> I have been given access to a test cluster, managed by slurm, mpi capable with nodes containing dual 12-core xeons and a variety of nvidia (eg k80, k40, m40) cards for testing.
>
> The system manages modules with lmod, so I load opnmpi/1.8.4 (latest avail), gcc/4.8.3 (which openmpi/1.8.4 is compiled with) and cuda/7.0. I've also tried 7.5 and am trying 6.0 now.
>
> I run configure, and it still doesn't find anything. So I pack the paths into my PATH and LDFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, pointing to the appropriate headers and libs.
>
> Then './configure --enable-cuda --enable-mpi --enable-opencl' runs fine and a make -j24 pops me a john exec.

A need for specifying CFLAGS et al isn't necessarily a bug or problem by
itself. We try to autodetect some common situations, that's all.

> I've had various errors in different states. Enabling mpi seems to fail, so I tried disabling that.

I take it you get a build but it fails at runtime? In what way does it fail?

> Compiling with just --enable-opencl and --enable-cuda gives me a john that doesn't error out but doesn't see any opencl devices (not even the CPUs!)

Does the output of `ldd ../run/john` show a valid selection of opencl
and cuda libs from expected locations?

Does `../run/john --list=opencl-devices` or `../run/john
--list=cuda-devices` give any information?

> I've tried compiling on the head node and one of the compute nodes with no better results.
>
> Am I missing something, or is there something misconfigured on this cluster?
>
> It's running Scientific Linux 6.6 which is based off RHEL.

I see nothing wrong in what you do. Are you using latest Jumbo from
GitHub? If not, you should definitely try that next.

magnum