Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 03:40:52 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bcrypt on ZTEX (was: Re: Anyone looked at the Ashley Madison data yet?)

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 09:18:23AM -0800, Royce Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 8:21 AM, JimF <jfoug@....net> wrote:
>
> > but bcrypt-12 is SOOOOOO slow.
>
> Katja, Solar - how close is bcrypt on ZTEX?

As far as I'm aware, it's still not implemented.

There was a recent discussion on john-dev between Katja and Aleksey
about host to ZTEX board communication, and while Aleksey managed to get
past some hurdles and get reliable communication going, it was
unacceptably slow.  We know that these boards support much faster
communication (and the "intraffic" example program does report those
higher speeds).  Someone should continue this work.

Anyway, even if this is done and everything runs perfectly, it won't be
magic.  I expect that one ZTEX board will be ~10x faster than one modern
quad-core CPU.  The improvement in energy-efficiency will be greater,
though (the board will consume less power than that CPU does).

Alexander