Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 20:17:11 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [Johnny-RFC] Which Qt min version to require ?

New qt versions sometimes add new functions which will prevent building
latest Johnny on old versions like 4.8 for example. I guess it might also
prevent running a distributed dynamically-linked executable requiring a
function from qt 5.1 on old linux distros with qt 4.8 for example if it
hasn't been updated for a long time (example: fedora 19 without update).
Here is a short history of qt release date.
Qt 4.8 was released in december 2011
Qt 5.0 was released in december 2012
Qt 5.1 was released in december 2013
Qt 5.4 was released in december 2014

We are asking our users this simple question : do you use outdated linux
distros (from example 2013 or older) with old version of Qt such as below
5.1 ?

If this is important to ours users, we might still support Qt >=4.8(or 5.1)
by making sure to not use latest API changes. We don't use a lot of new
functions and for those that we use, we could investigate on making
workaround(s) to avoid using them. But is it worth it, are you people still
using those qt versions on your distros ?

Thanks for your feedback!