Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 06:15:43 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Xeon Phi support?

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM, Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:17:30PM -0900, Royce Williams wrote:
>>> Given the recent sub-$200 pricing for the Xeon Phi 3151P,
>>
>> You mean 31S1P (that's S, not 5).
>
> Yes, thanks.
>
>> Note that you'll also need a capable motherboard (most won't run a
>> Xeon Phi) and chassis supporting passively-cooled PCIe cards (there are
>> inexpensive hacks around that, though).
>>
>> This is possibly the most affordable motherboard known to run Xeon Phi:
>>
>> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79_WS/
>
> Thanks for the lead.  I had otherwise been looking at:
>
> http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/overview/
I too am interested in running a Phi if there were formats I'd be
interested in and performance to be had. LM/NT, MD5, DES, Office,
Zip(archives in general), and crypt() are the particular formats I go
after with my day to day duties. I would gladly get a rig if there
would be a benefit to me in those kinds of formats.
-rich