Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 14:51:02 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: How to limit the number of guesses?

I'd recommend following Magnum's advice and using bleeding-jumbo, but just
for reference the error you were getting from "duplicate option" I suspect
is because you are using --stdout instead of "--stdin" for your second
instance of JtR.  Aka you can't have --stdout and a hashlist, (or hash
type), in the same instance of John since --stdout outputs guesses for
other programs to use. --stdin on the other hand tells JtR not to apply
rules but simply grab input from "standard in". I occasionally swap those
as well by accident.

Matt