Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 14:05:57 -0400
From: Rafael Veras <rafaveguim@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to limit the number of guesses?

In one of my experiments I'm comparing a custom cracker with john running
in the "default order of cracking modes".

However, AutoStatus (externals, in general) seems to work only on wordlist
mode.

So right now, I'm enabling CrackStatus and StatusShowCandidates, and doing
some parsing to get the same info that AutoStatus provides (in my case, #
of hits per million guesses).

Do you have any suggestions to get this info in a simpler way?

Also, I don't know how to abort it given a # of guesses, since I was
relying on AutoAbort.

Weir's suggestion seemed very promising (john | awk | john). But I couldn't
get it working in this case:

./john myhashes.txt --stdout
Invalid options combination or duplicate option: "--stdout"

I guess I needed a more explicit way to run the "default order of modes",
something like ./john --default --stdout

Thanks a lot,

Rafael

--

*Rafael*